Gambling can be an enjoyable pastime for the majority, however a number of people can develop a gambling addiction which can lead to a range of problems. If you feel that you have developed an addiction there are a number of sources that can offer support and advice.
If you think that you have an addiction then contact one of the support organisations below as soon as possible as they offer invaluable assistance.
BeGambleAware is managed by the Responsibility in Gambling Trust, an independent charity which funds treatment, research and education about responsible gambling. More information can be found on their website:
Tel: 0808 8020 133
Gamblers Anonymous is a worldwide support group that offers support and help required to assist in overcoming your addiction. They can be contacted through their website or by phone
Tel: 020 7384 3040
Gamcare is a registered UK charity that offers similar support and can advise and help you through their extensive range of services relating to issues around gambling.
Tel: 0845 600 013
When gambling it is very important that you take the following into consideration and follow a few simple rules as they're sure to help you gamble responsibly.
- Decide on how much money you can afford to bet, not how much you want to bet.
- When this limit has been reached, be prepared to walk away.
- Gambling can lead to addiction and seriously damage your financial situation.
- If you loose don't try and chase your losses.
- If you have won a small amount then be sensible and take your winnings.
- Gambling is a form of entertainment and is definitely not a get rich quick scheme.
- There are no guaranteed winning systems no matter what you've heard.